[Kratos] Information

Ignasi de Pouplana ipouplana en cimne.upc.edu
Lun Mayo 23 15:54:57 CEST 2016

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a PhD student at CIMNE currently working on hydraulic fracture
problems and I developed a FEM application in Kratos to deal with
solid-pore fluid coupled problems (by solving generalized Darcy's Law).
This application is called PoromechanicsApplication and, at this moment,
has the following features/limitations:

- It computes the solid displacements and pore pressure at every node of
the mesh
- It is implemented only for small deformation problems
- It works for 2D (plane-stress / plane-strain) and 3D cases
- It can handle special interface elements for defining preexisting
fractures

Regarding the topics you want to deal with, I believe this application
could be used to solve some hydrogeology problems. For the moment it has
nothing related to soil and water contamination and, since it works only
in small deformation regimes, I doubt it could be useful for foundation
and slope stability... However, I think there are other applications in
Kratos that could solve that kind of problems.

If you are interested, you can find the app. in the Kratos repository.
It has some test examples that can be run with the GiD problemtype it
includes.

Yours faithfully,

Ignasi de Pouplana