[Kratos] proposing a list of "flags"

jcotela en cimne.upc.edu jcotela en cimne.upc.edu
Jue Jun 20 09:48:27 CEST 2013

Dear Riccardo,

reading your mail, I have several questions about
the flags being proposed. As far as I know, some of the flags in the
list are application-specific, so I don't see why they should go on the
"general list", even if their equivalent variables are in the main
variables list (I'll speak for WALL, which is the only one I'd use, but
I suspect there are others). Also, ACTIVE == !(DEACTIVATED), FIX ==
!(FREE) why do we need them in pairs? Going back to that last one,
fixity in Kratos has a very specific meaning related to Dofs, so I'd
advise against using that name.

As you probably noticed by now, I'm
strongly against the notation of fFLAG, just as we don't write
sTEMPERATURE or vVELOCITY.

Greetings,

Jordi

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013
09:12:25 +0200, Riccardo Rossi wrote:

> Dear All,
> in the near
future, a mechanism shall be introduced within Kratos to allow the use
of "flags" (bool values) in a very efficient manner.

> The author of
this is Pooyan, and i am sure that when the feature is ready he will
provide usage guidelines as well as a description of the advanced
features of the new flags.

> as a general consideration it will be
needed to to define a limited number of "general flags" which will be
always present on all the elements nodes and conditions of the kratos.

This will be possible as many of this values will be packed to a single
double, which will allow providing a very fast interface.
> The problem
is that such list of general flag will be "closed" so that it will not
be possible to add or change the list (I am sure Pooyan later on will
explain alternatives)

> i would like to start a discussion on the
name to assign to such "general flags", putting here a list of the ones
that come to my mind.
> Please note that they SHOULD NOT be
application-specific!!

> 1 fACTIVE
> 2 fDEACTIVATED
> 3 fSLIP
> 4
fMASTER
> 5 fSLAVE
> 6 fERASE
> 7 fINTERFACE
> 8 fBOUNDARY
> 9
fMPI_BOUNDARY
> 10 fVISITED
> 11 fFLUID
> 12 fSTRUCTURE
> 13 fTHERMAL

14 fPERMANENT
> 15 fPROTECTED
> 16 fWALL
> 17 fSPLIT
> 18 fMODIFIED
> 19
fFREE
> 20 fFIX
>
> the form of using it will be through a function
"Is" to that the IS_ in the name shall be removed

> as you may
observe i prepended to the "flag name" an "f". This is my personal
proposal to distinguish flags from normal variables.
> Other people
suggest that it is not needed to distinguish, so that the name shall be
all capital as for normal variables.
> Please express your opinion also
on the naming convention to be used.

> Aside of this please make
proposals for what should be added/removed from this list.

greetings from BCN

> Dr. Riccardo Rossi, Civil
Engineer

> Member of Kratos Team
>
> International Center for
Numerical Methods in Engineering - CIMNE
> Campus Norte, Edificio C1
>

> c/ Gran Capitán s/n
>
> 08034 Barcelona, España
>
> Tel: (+34) 93